It’s vital to ensure your business is protected against any malicious actors trying to access your information. While virtual private networks(VPNs), can provide protection for your business, a VPN alone may not be sufficient. Your VPN and firewalls can be used together with antivirus software and other security tools to provide maximum protection for your online business activities. Here’s the information you need to know if you are interested in VPNs vs. firewalls, or antivirus software for your business.
What is a VPN?
VPN (virtual private network) hides your IP address and routes your network connection through remote servers. This protects you from any attempts to gain your data or locate you, even when you are using public Wi-Fi. It is a safe and beneficial option for employees who work remotely or from their homes.
According to Andrius Ulenskas (technical director at Hyve Managed Hosting), “It is best to [run] VPN for corporate services whenever public Wi-Fi usage is high or for businesses that have many remote workers.”
Your connection is routed to a remote server so that internet service providers, government websites, and other websites you visit won’t know your exact location. They will only be able to see the IP Address provided by the VPN. A VPN creates a secure tunnel that encrypts your data and renders it inaccessible to others.
Your computer can’t be protected from viruses and malware by using a VPN. It can protect your data and location from hackers so that they don’t have access to your personal information.
Firewalla CEO Jerry Chen said, “If a company is afraid that ISPs will spy on its traffic, then a third-party VPN service is good.”A simple remote access VPN server is absolutely free for businesses that worry about employees working remotely and needing to access business data.
You may have multiple servers around the world that can access your network connection if you use a VPN provider. Your location will determine the connectivity you choose.VPNs can bypass geo-restrictions. This means that you can use VPN to access websites in another country. Here and check out today’s Top-rated VPN provided by web security experts.
What is a firewall?
The firewall monitors the incoming and outgoing network traffic through either hardware or software that you install on your computer. It acts as protection between your computer’s network and external networks such as the internet. When your computer is connected to the internet, a firewall prevents malicious or unauthorized users from accessing it. This firewall creates data pockets to restrict the access of these users according to your security preferences.
Your firewall can be set up to block certain websites or online services, or to add exceptions to firewall rules to allow access to sites you wish to share your internal network with. You may, for example, allow certain programs to run on the computer without a firewall.
Although a firewall can provide strong protection to your computer, it cannot tell if something is malicious or not unless it has been programmed to do so. Your firewall will not block websites that it isn’t programmed to, even if they contain malicious content or are harmful to your system.
The majority of computers have firewalls installed already and require only a quick setup. You might choose to install another firewall that has a better interface or more protection capabilities.
What is antivirus software?
To detect, analyze, remove, and eliminate malicious software (malware), and viruses such as worms and Trojan horses, antivirus software can be installed on your computer. Cybercriminals and hackers use malware to hack into computers to steal data, harm devices, or commit identity theft. These attacks can be stopped by antivirus software.
Antivirus software scans every data that is in direct contact with your computer. This includes web pages, software, downloaded file, and applications. It also monitors for suspicious activity. The software can identify a malware program and stop it from doing further damage.
Cybercriminals are constantly creating malware and updating antivirus software. You need to ensure that your computer is up-to-date with the most recent protection. You can set some computers to automatically update these programs. Anti-malware software is often interchangeable with antivirus software, as they both refer to the same capabilities.
Firewalls vs. VPNs
These are the differences between firewalls and VPNs.
- VPNs protect your location and private data from being accessed by others. They do not protect your network from all malware.
- Firewalls protect your computer from malicious attacks. You can set your security preferences, and allow certain people to access your computer.
- VPNs protect data only from the point where the VPN tunnel was established or the original network connection. They don’t protect your computer.
- Because you do not have the authority to set up network or packet restrictions on your computer, security rules cannot be established for VPNs.
- VPNs are able to bypass geo-restrictions but firewalls only allow you to create restrictions on the computer you own.
- VPNs are used by companies to allow employees to access their remote server from any other location. Personal and corporate clients can use firewalls to protect their computers from malicious software.
Eric Mintz, CEO at EM Squared, stated that VPNs are not designed to protect against attacks on company-facing servers.”Public-facing firewalls do this.”
VPNs vs. antivirus
Here’s how VPNs compare to antivirus software:
- VPNs enable you to surf anonymously online and protect your online activity and location from being tracked.
- Antivirus software is constantly looking for malicious software on your computer to eliminate it.
- VPNs are able to encrypt your data and prevent others from accessing it. VPNs won’t be able to detect malware if you click on them. This malware can be removed by antivirus programs as soon as it is detected.
- Antivirus software can’t bypass geo-restrictions or encrypt internet traffic like VPNs.
Antivirus vs. firewalls
These are the differences between firewalls and antivirus software:
- Antivirus software scans your device to make sure there is no malicious software trying to access your data.
- Firewalls can be configured to restrict access to specific sites or limit the amount of data that a program, website, or software can get.
- Firewalls are focused on blocking malicious websites. This is done by the firewall company. Antivirus software is designed to identify and remove all malware from your computer after it has been scanned. You need to make sure that it is updated regularly to ensure you are protected against new malware.
Chen stated that antivirus protects the company’s operating system. It can be used to stop hackers from exploiting personal computers and causing data leakage, or other threats if used properly. This must be used in conjunction with the firewall.
Should you use all three?
As their capabilities complement each other, there are many advantages to using a VPN and firewall together on company computers.
Pablo Listingart, the founder of ComIT, stated that antivirus and firewall software should be considered as an addition to VPN services. They are not a substitute for VPN safety.
A properly configured firewall should have an intuitive interface that lets you choose which websites to allow or block on your network. You can then add a powerful antivirus program to detect and remove any malware on your computer. Then, you will have a reliable VPN that allows access to remote servers without fear.
However, technology solutions are not enough to solve the problem. Security must be a top priority for your entire team, even if they are working remotely.
Chen stated that businesses should see security as a multilayered solution and that employees need proper training. Most hacks begin with people clicking on the wrong things. Our people are always told to think before they click.