The Benefits of Digitizing Your Documents For Small Business
As your business grows from a startup into a business established, the amount of paper documents you have becomes overwhelming. This paperwork is hard to manage and wastes space. You can be digitizing your documents and everything. Digital conversion techniques are available to convert all your paper documents to electronic versions. These can be stored on your own server or in a cloud. This will allow you to manage documents more efficiently and avoid losing important documents.
What is document scanning?
Document scanning is also known as document imaging. It’s the process of digitizing paper documents. OCR conversion software transforms the images into digital formats. OCR (or optical character recognition) scans documents and converts them into text documents. This intelligent conversion makes it possible to search documents with the relevant keywords.
What is document scanning for small businesses?
You must reduce redundant costs as a small business owner on a tight budget. Searching through large volumes of paper documents can lead to lost productivity and additional storage space. These recurring costs add up.
Small businesses can save money by scanning documents. Document scanning services can help you convert any paper document, microfilm, plans, maps, or blueprints to digital format. Converting documents to digital formats saves space and makes them more secure. You can make each file read-only, control who can access it, and encrypt it.
Digitized files can also be accessed and navigated more easily, which leads to better customer service, higher productivity, faster retrieval of relevant information, and less fear about damaging important physical documents.
You can use a redaction company to erase sensitive information from digital files if you have financial documents or sensitive documents.
After scanning your documents, a data keying service might be of assistance. This service checks the accuracy of your scanned documents and inputs data manually, ensuring minimal errors. Data keying makes it possible to comply with digital data retention requirements. Simply specify the preferred format or layout for your data. The digital files can be seamlessly integrated into the company’s database.
Once all your paper documents are scanned and made editable, you can destroy them, except for documents that are required to comply with statutory requirements. Service providers can also shred sensitive documents in bulk.
What are the advantages of having scanned documents?
Digitalizing your documents has many benefits. These are just a few of the many benefits that digitizing your documents can bring:
- Share documents easily. Scanned documents can be shared digitally faster than if they are mailed, faxed, or hand-delivered paper. The document sharing process can also be digitized, which increases efficiency and productivity. Digitizing makes it possible for multiple people and departments to simultaneously access the same document, which improves collaboration.
- Store information safely. Scanned documents can be used to secure digital records. Remote servers with high-security protocols can safely store or back up digital files. Digital documents are also much safer than paper documents. You can organize and manage them in a structured manner.
- Incorporate digital elements. Information can be captured from paper, film, tapes, and other media by scanning. Information can be read using barcodes, RFID chips, and QR codes, as well as other inputs that can also be scanned. You can convert the scanned information for use in document management systems, enterprise planning software, management software, customer relationship management tools, and other business applications.
- Save money and time. Accessing and using all scanned documents is easy with just a few clicks. This means you don’t need to go through piles of paper files, or even have a storage area for papers. According to a 2015 report from eFileCabinet, the average organization To file a document costs $20, $120 to search and retrieve a lost document, and $220 for re-creating a lost one.
- Improve customer service. digitizing your documents can have different metadata that makes it faster and easier for you and your staff members to locate information and give it to customers.
- Minimize storage space. There is no need to have a separate space in your office for document storage. You can eliminate the expense of storing paper files.
- Meet compliance regulations. Certain industries have specific compliance rules that require certain documents to be kept in digital format. This can be done quickly and cheaply by scanning.
- Reduce paper waste. Scanning documents reduces paper waste and helps to save money. It also helps you save money on paper, shredders, and printing paper.
- Increase file accessibility. All scans can be uploaded to cloud storage or shared. Anyone with the correct credentials can access them remotely or on-site. Any information can also be searched in editable files within the moment.
What are the different types of document scanning services?
Scanners use a scanner lens to take digital images of paper documents. Basic scans of paper are not very useful. digitizing documents are simply digital images that can be viewed. These features can be added to the basic functionality of your files by a trusted scanning service:
- Ability to mark up and edit scanned papers
- High-resolution images available in color, black and white
- Different storage formats are available for large and small scales
These are the types of document scanning services that you can choose from:
- Bulk scanning. This type of document scanning service allows high-quality devices to scan large amounts of documents simultaneously. The scanning process is quick and does not require the individual handling of each paper.
- Large-format scanning. A large scanner can capture high-quality images when the document is larger than 54×72 inches. You can choose the type, color, size, resolution, and file type for the scanned documents. These files can include maps, posters, and architectural plans.
- OCR scanning. Editable scanned files can be obtained with OCR scanning support. You can search keywords because the scanned file does not come in an image format. Text can be edited easily, without changing the font style.
- Microfiche and microfilm scanning. This service converts data from tapes and microfilms into indexable digital files. It makes it easier to share and access digital files.
- Off-site and on-site scanning. Off-site scanning is where a service provider scans documents at their own location. If the documents are classified or sensitive, it is important to select a service that can scan the document at your location so that they do not become lost or misplaced during transport. To prevent information theft, an authorized person can monitor the entire process. On-site scanning is slower and more costly than off-site.
What types of documents can you have scanned?
There are no limits to the number of documents that you can be digitizing your documents. It is best to prioritize these types of documents when you start from scratch to digitize all your paper documents.
- Official correspondences
- Financial papers
- Contractual agreements
- Medical records
- HR files
- Bills and invoices
- Survey maps
- Other large documents
Once you have scanned the documents using a high-quality scanner and scanned them, it is time to add the necessary descriptive information to identify the files. Intelligent OCR can convert scanned images to readable text and allow you to retrieve, read, and share them with different apps.
What are some document digitization and management services?
You have a wide range of options when it comes to document digitization. We researched document management options to find the best for small businesses. We considered several factors such as cost, ease-of-use, storage capacity, and cost to do this. These are our top picks for document digitization and management services:
- Microsoft SharePoint. Microsoft SharePoint was chosen as the best document management tool because of its easy-to-use interface and tools. This includes a team site that allows users to organize documents according to the department. Microsoft SharePoint encourages collaboration because users can edit or view documents in other teams with authorization.
- M-Files. M-Files was chosen as the most user-friendly document management software due to its familiar and clean layout. It is similar to Windows File Explorer. Users can access the software offline and use it to accomplish most tasks. The workflow automation tools allow you to organize and assign tasks to appropriate users.
- Dokmee. Dokmee was chosen as the best secure document management software due to its outstanding safeguards. These include audit log features and 24/7 data monitoring. All user accounts can be encrypted and password protected.
- FileHold Express. FileHold Express was chosen as the best scalable document management software because it is designed for growing teams. You can have between 5 and 20 users. FileHold Enterprise subscriptions allow for larger companies to use the program. It is easy and affordable to switch to these options.
Also read: List of Top 10 Business Management Software
Here are some other popular document management systems:
How to choose document management software
Consider your business’s storage, sorting, search, and security requirements before you choose a document management system.
You should also consider where the system will be hosted. Do you want an on-site solution or a cloud-based document service that’s managed by a third party?
You should look for a service that allows permission restrictions to be placed on specific files. This will allow you to control who has access to which documents. A cloud-based storage system is also ideal as users can access documents from any device that has an internet connection, which is especially useful for remote employees.
Document management software that allows for team collaboration and works seamlessly is the best. To manage paperless documents, you don’t need to use multiple programs. Your application should have imaging tools that can work with your scanner, customizable templates for document creation, and tools that automatically format scanned documents to meet industry or office standards.
digitizing your documents A range of workflow automation tools are helpful as they allow you to create, modify, review, and approve all scanned documents. A system should allow you to import various digital documents such as PDFs, word processing, and spreadsheet files.