The coronavirus catastrophe is at its summit in India. With record surging instances, the city-to-city oxygen disaster has surfaced. There’s been an outcry throughout the nation. As reported, it’s fairly dangerous, and now that the signs of this deadly virus have been visible after 25 percent of the lungs have been damaged that leads to troubled breathing.
It is being discovered that a large proportion of individuals have difficulty in breathing and their oxygen level is diminishing rapidly. Within 2-3 times it reaches under 80 and in this kind of circumstance, immediate oxygen distribution is necessary. If oxygen isn’t available in this period of time, the problem becomes quite serious for the patient.
With a greater demand for oxygen distribution, it’s very important to find that this sort of situation can be avoided. At the most recent Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) for Covid-19 published by AIIMS Patna, physicians have worried that proning will help manage blood glucose amounts. Ministry of Health & Family Welfare Government of India also shared with a guide on proning self-care methods. Listed below are FAQ and techniques of proning:
What is Proning?
Proning is the procedure for turning into a patient with exact, secure moves, from their back on their stomach (stomach), so the person is lying down the face. Proning is a scientifically approved place to enhances breathing relaxation and oxygenation. It’s very valuable in COVID-19 patients with compromised breathing relaxation, particularly during house isolation.
Also read: Best 5 Tips To Boost Your Immunity System
Why is prone lying important?
- Prone positioning enhances ventilation, retains alveolar units open, and breathing simple.
- Proning is needed only when the patient feels difficulty in breathing and the SpO2 declines below 94 (less than 94).
- Routine monitoring of SpO2, alongside other signals like fever, blood pressure and blood glucose, is important throughout house isolation.
- Missing on hypoxia (compromised air circulation) can result in worsening of complications.
- Timely proning and keeping excellent ventilation can save lives.
Positioning of pillow:
- One pillow below the neck
- One or two pillows below the chest through upper thighs
- Two pillows below the shins
How to self prone?
For self-proning, you will need 4-5 pillows. You’ll be asked to alternate lying posture frequently and it’s best is not to spend over half an hour in each position.
Image credit: AIIMS PATNA SOP
Cautions while proning
- Prevent proning for an hour after meals
- Keep proning for Just as Long as Readily Comprehensible
- You may be More Likely for up to 16 hours a day, in multiple cycles, as Sensed comfortable
- Pillows Could be adjusted slightly to Change Stress areas and for comfort
- Keep a track of Some pressure sores or Accidents, Particularly around bony prominences
- Proning Ought to Be avoided During pregnancy, Deep venous thrombosis (Treated in under 48 hours), major cardiac condition, and patients Who Have unstable spine, femur, or pelvic fractures.