Data loss prevention (DLP) solutions, in an age of strict data privacy laws such as GDPR or CCPA, are becoming a critical IT security tool.
Each organization has data. Some data is more sensitive than others. Sensitive data may include personally identifiable information (PII), which can have an impact on privacy. If financial or payment information is stolen or lost, it could result in identity theft and fraud. Trade secrets and intellectual property (IP), are also important data sources.
DLP solutions can help protect sensitive data from loss and could be used to assist compliance agencies dealing with data breaches. DLP technology has been a priority IT investment in many organizations.
Key DLP Trends
There are a number of trends that are driving DLP adoption and strategic significance – sometimes even changing the delivery and deployment of DLP.
The Great Resignation
The rising number of workers moving to other employers is causing businesses problems. Many times, the sensitive data that drives the business is often left behind. Employee flight, whether it is intellectual property or regulated data creates an environment where data loss and theft are more common and more expensive.
Model of Hybrid Work
The common model prior to the COVID-19 epidemic was to keep the majority of employees in the office and within a controlled environment. This model has been replaced by remote working. It is unlikely that it will ever be the same. There are more workers in more places, which means that there is more sensitive data and the potential for data leakage.
Cybersecurity talent shortage
Given the shortage of cybersecurity talent, it can be difficult for any business to hire, train, and retain the personnel needed to run an effective information security program. A third party such as a managed service provider (MSSP ) can provide the simplicity and effectiveness required for a data protection program. DLP solutions, like other security defenses, are increasingly offered as a service.
Also read: 9 Cloud Security Trends in 2022 and Beyond
Cloud Security Platform Delivery
Cloud delivery has been proven to be more efficient and secure than what companies can do on-premises, relying on their own resources. Cloud-delivered DLP or DLP as A Service eliminates the overhead and complexity that can be burdensome for IT departments.
Organizations depend on a growing number of security vendors. The increased number of vendors can lead to excessive complexity and, often, lower information security. The consolidation of internal and external data protection programs into a single solution provides an easier view for analysts to reach their primary goal of protecting sensitive data.
IDC projects that 463 exabytes per day will be created by 2025. It is becoming increasingly difficult for information security teams to understand, find and protect all this data. Data protection programs are an essential part of the solution to data loss and theft.
Companies and customers are shifting away from the registration model. It is difficult and unsafe to keep spreadsheets that contain millions of rows for identifying PII securely. This is especially true as customers move to a profiling model of operation.
The top DLP products support a variety of key capabilities.
- Cloud: The rise of the cloud has shaped the DLP market in recent years, just like the wider IT market. Enterprise data is no longer limited to on-premises deployment. DLP solutions must therefore monitor sensitive data in the cloud.
- Privacy compliance: With the GDPR, CCPA, and other data privacy regulations increasing, DLP is a valuable tool to help organizations protect customer privacy.
- Data labeling: DLP tools allow users to self-assess their data and determine which types should be protected.
- Machine Learning: One of the most recent advances in DLP technology is machine learning which automatically identifies potentially sensitive information so that it can be protected.
How to choose the right DLP solution
There are several important considerations that organizations should consider when choosing DLP technology.
- Scope: Where are the data to be protected? Does the solution you’re considering have full visibility into these deployments?
- Compliance: The DLP service can be used to enable regulatory compliance. Be aware of integration with GRC tools (governance risk and compliance).
- Reporting: Organizations should have visibility and reporting on what data is being protected and accessed. This is especially important for compliance purposes.
8 Best DLP Solutions
Here are Esecurity planet’s top picks in DLP after analyzing the market.
1. Digital Guardian
The Digital Guardian Data Protection Platform powered by AWS by HelpSystems performs on traditional endpoints across the corporate network and on cloud apps, making it easier for you to identify and block threats to sensitive data.
Cloud-delivered means a simplified deployment, cross-platform coverage for no gaps and flexible controls to prevent risky behavior. And available either as a software-as-a-service (SaaS) or managed service deployment, Digital Guardian gives deployment flexibility.
- Digital Guardian supports either a case-based approach (known user groups or data types) or a data risks discovery approach (identifying unidentified use cases).
- Without the need for policies, users can see where sensitive data is located, where it flows, and where it’s at risk.
- Users will benefit from quick deployment, lower overhead and instant scaling.
- DLP coverage is available on all endpoints, browsers and apps.
- Controls can be used to match data protection programs with business requirements. These controls include log alert, prompt and block.
Also read: 10 Best Cyber Threat Intelligence Tools
Fidelis Network provides a complete picture of encrypted bi-directional traffic and its context in one location. Deep Session Inspection technology extracts metadata from traffic and monitors over 300 attributes.
Fidelis also has the ability to retroactively detect and investigate potential threats, stop sessions that are in violation of policies and provide details about who is receiving and sending data as well as what data is being transmitted. Fidelis DLP is an integral part of a larger security system. It provides greater data visibility, protects intellectual properties, and ensures compliance.
- Fidelis provides visibility to all ports and protocols.
- It is possible to analyze encrypted traffic and identify anomalies in that traffic.
- Fidelis allows users to examine objects, text, and attributes hidden deep within layers of archives, applications, compression, or compression.
- A custom file decoder extracts text and attributes from MS Office files, PDFs, and other formats.
- For a deeper analysis, decrypt to detect malware on wire, encrypted attacker communications and data theft; inspect, and re-encrypt traffic without slowing the network traffic.
Check Point Data Loss Prevention, (DLP), combines technology with processes to help businesses move from passive detection to active DLP.
Data classification incorporates content, user, and process information to make precise decisions. UserCheck allows users to quickly resolve incidents. Check Point’s network-based DLP system frees IT personnel from handling incidents and teaches users about proper data handling policies that protect sensitive corporate information from intentional and unintentional losses.
- In a matter of minutes, you can deploy a predefined policy in monitor mode.
- You can track and control sensitive data movement within the company.
- Respect regulations and industry standards.
- Educate the users about proper data handling policies.
- Check Point offers two options to secure data: Content Awareness or a fully-featured DLP.
- You can choose from over 60 or 700+ predefined data types for PII and PCI, HIPAA, etc.
Clumio Protect & Discover provides backup and recovery services for AWS, VMC, and Microsoft 365. It automates AWS data protection, including Amazon S3, EC2, EBS and RDS; SQL Server and DynamoDB; VMware Cloud and AWS; and Microsoft 365.
- Ransomware Protection is available with Air-gap Backups, which are immutables and end-to-end encrypted.
- Respect compliance requirements for global policies and protection groups.
- To reduce recovery time objectives, you can restore data in minutes using granular, one-click recovery.
- Receive real-time visibility, recommendations, and guidance to reduce data risk and keep track of AWS backup spending.
- Validate RPO (recovery points objectives) across all accounts in order to comply with recovery points.
Trellix, which was formed by the merger of McAfee Enterprise, FireEye, and FireEye, remains closely connected with its former cloud business Skyhigh Security in the area of DLP. Trellix Data and User Security provide DLP features, such as real-time visibility and data security, protection against data leakage, and intelligent threat identification and response.
- The platform secures data from all angles.
- Trellix offers continuous data security for any device equipped with multi-vector digital LP.
- Data is deployed using a zero-trust approach.
- Appies AI/ML (Artificial Intelligence) provides insights at scale to detect anomalous user behavior (UEBA) and automate and simplify data access policy orchestration.
- Trellix Data and User Security are adaptable across the enterprise.
Code42 is a participant in the DLP market but believes that DLP is not the solution. It advocates for a risk-based approach through its Incydr solution. It monitors every place data is stored to determine if files are moved outside of the trusted environment.
- Code42 uses 60+ contextual Incydr Risk Indicators to prioritize high-risk employee activity.
- Watchlists can be used to programmatically protect data during times when it is most at risk, like employee departures.
- There are many controls that can be used to control, resolve and educate events via Incydr Flows or SOAR.
- This platform is a cross-platform agent that acts as an endpoint agent for Windows and Mac.
- Incydr Exfiltration Detectors can be used for cloud (OneDrive and Google Drive, Box), email(Office365 and Gmail), as well as Salesforce.
Also read: Top 11 Endpoint Security Solutions For Enterprise
Forcepoint DLP solutions tools for managing global policies across all major channels, including endpoints, networks, cloud, web, and email. Organizations can address risk through predefined policies and templates. Additionally, streamlined incident management is one of the many features.
- More than 1,500 pre-defined templates, policies, and classifiers that are applicable to the regulatory requirements of 83 countries can be used to ensure compliance.
- Find and resolve regulated data using network, cloud, or endpoint discovery.
- You can take advantage of the central control and consistent policies across all channels.
- Use messages to guide employees and educate them on policy.
- Securely collaborate with policy-based auto encryption that protects data from being moved outside of the organization.
Proofpoint Endpoint DLP is a people-centric approach for protecting data. It offers integrated content awareness as well as behavioral and threat awareness. This gives users granular visibility into sensitive data interactions. Proofpoint Endpoint DLP solutions also allow you to detect, prevent and respond in real-time to data loss incidents.
- It simplifies the response to data-loss incidents or other violations of policy.
- Identifies dangerous user behavior and sensitive data interaction.
- Protects against insider-led security incidents.
- Proofpoint Endpoint DLP extends the capabilities of Cloud Security Platform and Proofpoint Information to the endpoint.
- Visibility into data activity and context is possible.
Leave a comment