Outsourcing is the practice of hiring a third-party company to perform a business function that is traditionally handled in-house. In the video game industry, outsourcing is becoming increasingly common, as video game developers look for ways to save money, access a wider pool of talent, and reduce risk.
Video game outsourcing companies offer a variety of services, including art, programming, design, and testing. These companies can provide game developers with the resources they need to create high-quality games without having to hire and train in-house staff.
Pros of Outsourcing Video Game Development
There are a number of potential benefits to outsourcing video game development. These include:
- Cost savings: Outsourcing can save game developers money in a number of ways. First, it can be cheaper to hire developers in other countries, where the cost of living is lower. Second, outsourcing can help game developers avoid the high costs of hiring and training in-house developers.
- Access to a wider pool of talent: Outsourcing can give game developers access to a wider pool of talent from around the world. This can be especially beneficial for small and independent game developers who may not have the resources to hire a full team of in-house developers.
- Reduced risk of intellectual property theft: Outsourcing can help reduce the risk of intellectual property theft. When game developers outsource their development work, they are typically working with a company that has a reputation to protect. This can help to ensure that the game developer’s intellectual property is safe.
- Increased flexibility: Outsourcing can give game developers increased flexibility. This is because outsourcing companies can scale up or down their workforce as needed. This can be helpful for game developers who are working on projects with fluctuating demand.
- Faster development times: Outsourcing can help game developers shorten their development times. This is because outsourcing companies can often work more quickly than in-house developers. This is because outsourcing companies typically have a more streamlined development process and they can tap into a larger pool of talent.
Cons of Outsourcing Video Game Development
While there are a number of potential benefits to outsourcing video game development, there are also some potential drawbacks. These include:
- Communication challenges: One of the biggest challenges of outsourcing is communication. This is because game developers and outsourcing companies may be located in different countries and time zones. This can make it difficult to communicate effectively and resolve any issues that may arise.
- Quality control issues: Another challenge of outsourcing is quality control. This is because outsourcing companies may not have the same level of quality control standards as in-house developers. This can lead to problems with the quality of the game.
- Cultural differences: Cultural differences can also be a challenge when outsourcing. This is because game developers and outsourcing companies may have different cultural expectations. This can lead to misunderstandings and can make it difficult to work together effectively.
- Time zone differences: Time zone differences can also be a challenge when outsourcing. This is because game developers and outsourcing companies may be located in different time zones. This can make it difficult to coordinate meetings and communicate effectively.
- Legal issues: Legal issues can also be a challenge when outsourcing. This is because game developers and outsourcing companies may be located in different countries. This can lead to problems with intellectual property rights and with contracts.
How to Find a Reliable Video Game Outsourcing Company?
There are a number of things you can do to find a reliable video game outsourcing company. Here are a few tips:
- Do your research. There are a number of resources available to help you research video game outsourcing companies. You can read online reviews, talk to other game developers, and attend industry events.
- Get quotes from multiple companies. Once you have a list of potential outsourcing companies, get quotes from each one. This will help you compare prices and services.
- Check references. Ask each company for references from previous clients. This will give you an idea of the company’s work ethic and quality of service.
- Make sure the company is familiar with your specific needs. Not all video game outsourcing companies are created equal. Some companies specialize in specific areas of game development, such as art, programming, or design. Make sure the company you choose is familiar with your specific needs and has the experience to deliver on your expectations.
- Get everything in writing. Once you have chosen an outsourcing company, be sure to get everything in writing. This includes the scope of work, the timeline, the budget, and the quality standards. This will help to avoid any misunderstandings or disagreements down the road.
By following these tips, you can increase your chances of finding a reliable video game outsourcing company.
Here are some additional tips for working with a video game outsourcing company:
- Be clear about your expectations. When you first start working with an outsourcing company, be sure to be clear about your expectations. This includes the scope of work, the timeline, the budget, and the quality standards.
- Communicate regularly. Communication is key when working with an outsourcing company. Be sure to communicate regularly with the company’s team, especially if there are any changes to the scope of work or the timeline.
- Provide feedback. As the project progresses, be sure to provide feedback to the outsourcing company’s team. This will help to ensure that the game is meeting your expectations.
- Be patient. Game development is a complex process, and it takes time to create a quality game. Be patient with the outsourcing company’s team, and they will work hard to deliver a game that you are proud of.
Outsourcing can be a great way for game developers to save money, access a wider pool of talent, and reduce risk. However, it is important to be aware of the potential challenges before making the decision to outsource.
Ultimately, the decision of whether or not to outsource video game development is a complex one. There are a number of factors to consider, including the specific needs of the game developer, the budget, the timeline, and the desired level of quality. If done correctly, outsourcing can be a valuable tool for game developers. However, it is important to do your research and to choose an outsourcing partner carefully.